18 Mayıs 2012 Cuma

I am Adriana Ribeiro. And this is my story :)


Hi, my name is Adriana. If you know me, you probably won’t be surprised with the story I am about to tell. If you don’t know me but know NY, you will absolutely love this story...

After living in NY for long years, I moved back to Brazil because of my new job. Last month I came back to the city that never sleeps to work and take care of a few errands. I also had to find an answer to my question “Sampa* or not?” and finally found it, so I feel like a ton of weight was off my shoulders. It was time to celebrate the changes from the year that is behind and look forward to the future plans that look promising and challenging, just the way I like it :)

In one of my nights out with friends, I stumbled into a Greek restaurant where a band called Flying Dogs from Jupiter was playing. Someone else could say they were just a regular band who didn’t make it to the billboards and who are now playing in various bars, feeling as if they were the Rolling Stones of their times. But I would say these guys are a group of super cool folks in their mid-50’s early 60’s with lots of talent and energy. What made me like this band a lot was partly the alcohol in my blood (hahahahah) and partly the lady who was jamming with the other four guys. If I had met her on the street I would NEVER think she is so talented and that she was one of the members of a rock band.  Her hair was all grey and she looked like she could be a grandma…. Boy, I wish she was my mom, my grandma. I would be so proud of having such talented cool energetic grandma like her!



I kept on listening to the band and to this graceful lady who played the keyboard, the pipes, the accordion and a bunch of other instruments that she kept on taking off her “music bag”! As time passed, I requested a song which the band, unfortunately, had not heard of before. However, one of the members looked at me and suggested that they would rehearse my song and be ready to play it if I came back the following Saturday,.  For a moment I was like “Yeah, right! I believe you(!)” But as once a friend of mine pointed out, I always give people the benefit of the doubt. And so I told them I would be back to hear my song.
Sure enough, a week from that Saturday, I was right back there! It had been an intense week and I wasn’t really feeling like going out. But aside from the need to relax, I had a bigger reason which was to see my friend Ayca and take her to a “dessert place**”(!) that she had never been.  I met Ayca on the train and we ended up at a TAPAS BAR in the Village that both of us liked quite a bit. The conversation was pleasant just like the food, the sangria, the night and the vibe overall. Then happened something quite weird but funny! We were talking about our future plans, and the possibility that one day I might find myself in Istanbul, how much fun I and Ayca would have there etc…  and just at that moment the music on the radio stopped and the singer shouted ISTANBUL! We both looked at each other and burst into laughs! Maybe it was a sign that the Universe or God had manifested on that song right at that moment to tell us: “Hey girls! Your dreams will come true, no worries!”... who knows?

I then took Ayca to the “dessert place*” she wanted to go. I was super excited because Ayca had never been at that place before and also because she missed our friend Camilla’s bachelorette party which was organized at a “dessert place” in Sao Paulo.  We walked in and started to look around the various desserts but we were especially looking for the “egg dessert”. After Ayca found and bought it, we were ready to go back to the famous Greek Bar in hopes that the Flying Dogs from Jupiter were there and ready to play my song.
You know when people say nothing is impossible in NY? They are right! Nothing is impossible anywhere in the world but they didn’t make a song about London calling it the dream come true city?!!! Whether or not I believe there is a magical field in NY that makes dreams come true. When you do good things, they all come back to you! Ayca and I walked in the Greek Bar and one of the guys in the band recognized me. I told him I was back for my song and he just loved it. Turns out the band kept their word, practiced my song and was ready to play it for me!! The night went on with people coming and going and they finally played my song! I was really happy about that! Not so much because of the quality of how they sounded but more because I had a request and they cared. They cared!

Here is the song I requested

So, after a great girl’s night out, I guess we both went home already missing each other’s company but very glad we got to have such an amazing night. On my way back to SP, I couldn’t help but think about what just happened to me for the past few days and how fortunate I am to have such a life! Not to mention the contribution I got to make to Ayca’s dessert experience :)) Overall, I felt great! Definitely renovated and ready to rock and roll again! 


“I am Adriana Ribeiro. This is my story. And this is my credit card.” – hahahahahaha (I could act in that ad with my story, couldn't I? ;)

Thank you Ayca for being such a great friend!


* Sampa: Sao Paulo city
** Dessert place: If you’re watching How I Met Your Mother you should know that in one of the episodes Ted tells his kids the story of the times when he and his friends used to have “sandwiches”(!). My analogy is similar to that :) but that’s a story for Ayca to tell!

Hiç yorum yok: